Followers

Monday, July 27, 2020

The Promised Neverland Review

The Promised Neverland (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb
image from google
( I tried to make sure that this review is spoiler-free, however, there are some spoilers in the review.) 
Title: The Promised Neverland
Director: Mamoru Kanbe
Studio: Toho
Based On: The Manga by Kaiu Shirai
Trigger: Violence, gore
Rating: 5/5

Plot: This anime follows three of the older children at an orphanage who discover the shocking truth about the facility. Starting at the age of six children are 'adopted' out of the orphanage based on their test scores, and no matter what their test scores are they get shipped out on their 12 birthday. 
The three eldest children discover however that instead of getting adopted they become food for alien creatures. So the children decide to form an escape plan to prevent themselves and the others from facing the same fate as Conny. 

Characters: I will only be writing about some of the main characters in this section
The main characters in this series are Emma, Norman, and Ray. They are eleven years old and are the oldest and smartest children at the facility. All the children in the facility have ID numbers on their necks. 
Emma is the one that decides she wants not only her, Norman, and Ray to escape but everyone else as well. Her ID number is 63194. She is very optimistic throughout the show. She also is very selfless and cares deeply about the other children at the orphanage. 
Norman is the smartest of the three children and is the one that comes up with the plan to escape. He likes Emma and would do anything for her. He is also very athletic which is shown by the fact that he is unbeatable while playing tag. His ID number is 22194. He is also the one to discover the truth about Ray. 
Ray is also very intelligent, however, he is a major pessimist. Throughout the series, he doesn't believe that they can escape with everyone, and thinks doing so would lead to their downfall. Ray's ID number is 81194. 
Mom 'Isabella'  is the head of the house. She cares for the children and is the one responsible for getting them shipped. The show goes into some detail about the process she underwent to become a Mom. She carries a tracker so that she knows where the kids are at all times. She is also very fast, strong, and appears to be unbeatable. Her ID number is 73584.

Quotes:
  • "I want you to be part of that whole."
  •  "Even if it's impossible, I want to escape with everyone. Let's figure it out. I don't want all of us to die. But there's no option to leave them behind. I want Conny to be the last. I don't want anyone to end up like that ever again. If there isn't one, then let's make a place for humans to live outside. Let's change the world."
  • "If we escape, that person's life will not be guaranteed any more. Also, I want to believe, after all. The incident with Gilda made me realize that. Ray told me to suspect everyone, but even if there's a traitor who is a demon's agent, no one within our siblings is a bad person. We're a family that grew up together. Even if that person gets in the way, betrays us, or says I'm naive, I want to believe in that person!" 
  • "You're coming with us. You have to be with us, or else!" 
  • "Yes. I am happy. Because I was able to meet someone like you."
Would I Recommend: I definitely recommend this anime. It is only twelve episodes long and is available in the English dub, and sub. A second season for this show should be coming out next year, however, if you can't wait there is always the manga which you can read. This anime is one of the best I have watched this year, with such an intriguing storyline. I binged it because I couldn't stop watching, I had to know what was going to happen. Do the children escape? You can find out by watching the show on Funimation, Crunchyroll, or Hulu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading books from the Readers Also Enjoyed section on Goodreads for The Deal by Elle Kennedy

 I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy so I decided to see what books other readers enjoyed and read some of them. Here is my opinion of six of t...