Followers

Friday, January 22, 2021

Worst and most disappointing books of 2020

 These are some of the worst and most disappointing books I read in 2020. I won't have the books in any particular order but with each book, I will put why it made this list. Also for the most part I don't recommend these books. However, some of them are only on here just because I personally found them disappointing not because they were bad.

1) The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory 

The Lady of the Rivers - Wikipedia

This is the first book of the Tudor novels by Philippa Gregory, and while I still want to read the rest of them this one was very disappointing. I rated it 3/5 stars. I don't remember too much about the book, however, I remember it was very slow-paced while reading it and after awhile I was wondering when the story was going to end. There were parts I really liked though which didn't make up for the rest of the book. 

2) The Play by Elle Kennedy

The Play (Briar U Book 3) eBook: Kennedy, Elle: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

Now, this wasn't the worst but it was still disappointing. This was Hunter's book which I was so excited for. I loved the cameo appearances from the characters from the other books, but it is my least favourite in the series so far. 

3) Angel Fire by Valmore Daniels

Angel Fire (Fallen Angels, #1) by Valmore Daniels

I do have the rest of the books in this series as well and will read them eventually. However, they are definitely not near the top of my tbr after reading this one. I rated this book two stars. I did not like the main character, I didn't like the love interest. This book was so confusing sometimes. I don't recommend this. 

4) Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts

Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts

This one was also one where it wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't the best either. It reminded me of something you would see in a Hallmark movie. I rated it 3/5 stars.

5) Goddess of Spring by P. C. Cast

Goddess of Spring: Amazon.ca: Cast, P. C.: Books

I have read many Hades and Persephone retellings and it was hard to like this one with my mind constantly comparing it to others. While this one does have a unique concept where it isn't actually Persephone but a middle-aged woman who switched bodies with Persephone that went to the Underworld I just didn't really care for it. I rated this one 3/5 stars. 

6) Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

Amazon.com: Half a King (Shattered Sea) (9780804178327): Abercrombie, Joe:  Books

This one is one that is really hyped up. I rated it 2/5 stars. I didn't like it. All the characters I did like seemed to either come out terrible by the end or dead. 

7) Twisted by Bonnie M. Hennessy

Twisted: The Girl Who Uncovered Rumpelstiltskin's Name by Bonnie M. Hennessy

This one was another two-star book. It had potential but the story just wasn't fleshed out enough. Also, the main characters were not that great. 

8) Overprotected by Lulu Pratt

Overprotected by Lulu Pratt

I am pretty sure this is my lowest-rated book of the year at one star. It is a brother's best friend romance that if I was doing a ranked list of the worst books this would be number one. The writing in this book was not good, and I don't see myself picking up another Lulu Pratt book in the future.

9) Ensnared by A. G. Howard

Ensnared: Splintered Book Three, Book by A. G. Howard (Paperback) |  www.chapters.indigo.ca

This one is on this list because it was disappointing. I do not want to spoil it so that is all I will put down. This book I rated 3.5/5 stars.

10) Stain by A. G. Howard

Stain by A.G. Howard

This book is supposed to be a Princess and the Pea retelling but I don't think it accomplished that very well. I rated this book two stars. I liked the beginning, but then it was all downhill from there. 

11) The Upside of Falling by Alex Light

The Upside of Falling by Alex Light

This book was one that had a lot of potential and was being talked about frequently. It was again more of a letdown than anything. I rated this book three stars but there is a moment in here I cannot forgive (and if you have read this you can probably guess what it is). 

12) First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

The main character is so full of herself in this one. And this is why this 3.5/5 star book is so disappointing. However, there were some funny moments in this book. As well there are just some books that are bad that I can't help but like for some reason. 

13) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Ep 288 - The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger — Overdue

The writing in this book was so slow-paced. There were many moments where I almost gave up, but I finished it mainly because it did have some moments spread out where I actually got back into the book for a bit. I rated this 2.5/5 stars.


14) Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee

Dragon Pearl eBook by Yoon Ha Lee | Rakuten Kobo

I rated this 3/5 stars. It's a sci-fi book mixed with Korean mythology. It wasn't bad, again this is one where I almost wanted a bit more before everything went down. 


15) The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks

The Longest Ride: Sparks, Nicholas: 9781455520633: Books - Amazon.ca

This one is one of the only books where I will say the movie is better than the book. I rated this book two stars. Slow-paced and it felt like it dragged on. 

16) Her Vampire Rebel by Zara Zenia

Her Vampire Rebel: Amazon.ca: Zenia, Zara: Books

Another one-star book. This book is about vampires that work in a BDSM club. So if you like fifty shades of grey, and vampires you may like this one. This book just wasn't for me, however.

17) His Captive by Diana Cosby

His Captive (MacGruder Brothers, #1) by Diana Cosby

I rated this book 2/5 stars. Which for this book was a pretty nice rating. To be fair the beginning wasn't bad. It just got worse. This was my least favourite historical romance I read last year. 

18) Summer Magic by T. M. Cromer

Summer Magic (Thorne Witches, #1) by T.M. Cromer

2/5 stars. The guy who is the love interest in this book is a total asshole 95% of the time. Might read some of the other books in the series not sure yet. 

19) ÆGIR by Lee Savino

Ægir (Berserker Warriors #1) by Lee Savino

1/5 stars. This book was basically a sex scene with some background material to try and give it a storyline. 

20) One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus 

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus: 9781524714680 |  PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

This book is totally overhyped. The plot twist is not even shocking the only thing I didn't expect didn't even relate to the main mystery in this book. I rated this book 3/5 stars. I mean I will read other books by this author because it wasn't bad. It was disappointing because I was expecting far more out of this book. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like your pic Sarah.
    the lady of the Rivers and stained were both on my reading list however I didn't get to them. I purchased The Lady of the Rivers, I didn't know Stained was a princess and the pea retelling which is a fav of mine, so if it was slow and didn't follow the story line, I'll need to keep looking, thank you for the information, Look forward to next months story

    ReplyDelete

Reading books from the Readers Also Enjoyed section on Goodreads for The Deal by Elle Kennedy

 I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy so I decided to see what books other readers enjoyed and read some of them. Here is my opinion of six of t...