Followers

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Review

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E ...images from google
Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Poppy/Little Brown
Rating: 3/5
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance

Plot: The book follows the character of Hadley. An American girl is on her way to London to go to her father's wedding. Unluckily she misses her flight, however, she is lucky in the fact that she now gets to ride with the very handsome, British Oliver. 
Both characters have problems with their Dads that they are not ready to face on their own. However, over the course of the flight, Oliver and Hadley grow close to each other and each learns lessons to help them with their family struggles.
In my opinion parts of the book were rushed. Like I would have personally liked to see more interaction between the characters, and more of the time they spent together on the flight. I did like the discussion of the concept of family structure in this book and the concept of change. 

Characters:
Other than the main characters of Hadley and Oliver there was her Dad, her mom, Charlotte, and Violet. The rest of the characters were only briefly mentioned. 
I really liked the Dad's character because you could see how he was trying to still have a relationship with his daughter. Charlotte being very accepting of Hadley was also a really nice touch since that isn't always the case in YA books where one of the parents remarry. 
I liked the family dynamics between the characters in this book in general. Like the way, Hadley and her Mom would look out for each other, and the way her Mom is having difficulty accepting love in her life again, and her daughter accepts it. 
Oliver was also a very strong character in the book, however out of the main characters that impact Hadley's life I think he would have to be my least favourite. Honestly, Hadley's parents took over the book for me. 
Also, the fact that she literally met Oliver that day, and the majority of the book was either flashbacks referencing her parents or Oliver making her think about her Dad did impact the way I liked Oliver. 

Quotes: 
  • "Love is the strangest most illogical thing in the world."
  • "I feel better when I'm with you."
  • "If you love something, set it free."
Would I Recommend: 
While I would recommend this book it wouldn't be to everyone. I mean if you really like contemporary romance novels then this might be your cup of tea. However, the subject matter in this book is interesting and something that some people go through with their parents divorcing and having to see their parents get married again. Personally, I also feel like I would have enjoyed this book better if I was a bit younger, and I wish I picked it up when I first added it to my tbr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading books from the Readers Also Enjoyed section on Goodreads for The Deal by Elle Kennedy

 I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy so I decided to see what books other readers enjoyed and read some of them. Here is my opinion of six of t...