Followers

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The Shadows Between Us Review

 The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

Title: The Shadows Between Us

Author: Tricia Levenseller 

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends

Rating: 4.5/5 stars 

Story: 

This book follows Allessandra who after having her heart broken killed the boy who did it and swore to never give her heart to anyone again. 

After that her goal was to win The Shadow King's heart and after she became queen kill him so she could rule over the kingdoms. 

I loved the romance in this book between Kallias and Allessandra. I also like the fact that Allessandra was very much her own woman and would do things for herself.  

I really also enjoy the fact that she made good friends with other girls at the castle and helped them find love as well. 

Also, this was truly a romance where you didn't know whether or not she was going to kill him or let him live until near the end of the book. 

I also really liked the plot twist with one of the characters who I won't mention because I want to try to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible. 

Now getting into the things I didn't like. 

I didn't like the way Allessandra was treated by both her father and her sister, but I also didn't like the way she treated and talked about them in return. 

Allessandra would also use men for her own personal gain and if the gender of her character in the book was reversed I feel like more people would be upset about it. 

Also, her character was almost too perfect. I mean she basically faces no repercussions for any of her actions, she can make all these amazing outfits from scratch, and she can attract any guy she wants. 

Also, the fact that she killed her first boyfriend because he fell in love with someone else after using her was a bit much. I mean I get it he was an asshole but still, did she really have to kill him? 

I also didn't like the way Kallias wouldn't listen to her after a vile containing a certain substance was found in the wardrobe of her bedroom. You would think that they had overcome enough at this point that he would have listened to her. 

Quotes:

“Waiting. Not waiting. One lover. A hundred lovers. There should be no judgment either way. A woman is not defined by what she does or doesn‘t do in the bedroom.” 

“I think that when you care enough for someone, you reach a point where it's far more painful not to have him at all than to have him and risk losing him. You realize the risk is worth it. Because happiness, however short-lived, is always worth it.”

“All the time in the world is worth nothing if I don't get to spend it with you.”

Would I recommend: 

I would definitely recommend this to people who like young adult fantasy books. Especially if one of your favorite tropes is enemies to lovers. 

Have you read this book yet? What did you think of it? Comment down below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading books from the Readers Also Enjoyed section on Goodreads for The Deal by Elle Kennedy

 I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy so I decided to see what books other readers enjoyed and read some of them. Here is my opinion of six of t...