Followers

Monday, July 6, 2020

June Wrap Up

June Wrap Up
images from google

Books Read: 

I managed to have a really good reading month this month and read 11 books. However, out of those 11 books, only two of them were five-star reads. I will list the books in order from lowest to highest rating. 

Stain by A.G. Howard
Rating 2/5 stars
Stain by A.G. Howard
This book was a major disappointment after reading and loving the Splintered series. This book follows the main character Lyra who is the princess of the kingdom which only has daylight. Lyra can't go out in the sun, has no voice, and has the ability to control moths and shadows. The prince of the kingdom that only has night has similar issues where he is blind in the dark so the kingdom has to be lit up for him. These both of them are supposed to complete each other and fix the world. This book is a princess and the pea retelling. I didn't like this book because it was very slow-paced, I didn't like the characters, and the story just wasn't for me. I found myself getting frustrated at the book and the characters a lot while reading this book. There were moments I did like but it didn't make up for the vast majority of the book which I didn't. However, the writing is beautiful and A.G. Howard is a great author this book just wasn't for me. 

The Upside of Falling by Alex Light
Rating 3/5 stars
The Upside of Falling by Alex Light
The author of this book who is from Toronto became famous on Wattpad. This was her first novel that was actually published as a physical book. The book is about a girl who lies to her old friend about having a boyfriend. The really nice popular guy in her class acts as her fake boyfriend. They fall in love. The girl is living with her mom in a single-parent household because her dad left five years prior to being with another woman. While the boy has a family life that seems to be perfect. This book seemed like something I would read off of Wattpad, the characters weren't really too memorable (I can't even remember the names), and the romance felt very rushed. However, I did like the storyline in this book when it dealt with the family structures of each of the characters and thought that was really well done. I also read this in one sitting due to the fast-paced writing, and the fact that this isn't a super long book. It was a cute contemporary which I enjoyed. 

Engaged to an Alien Popstar by Kendra L. Saunders
Rating 3/5 stars
Engaged to an Alien Pop Star (The Alien Pop Star Series Book 2 ...
This was the sequel of Dating an Alien Pop Star which I also read this month. I definitely didn't like this one as much as I liked the first one. The characters are still funny, and cute and I still really enjoyed reading about them. I just wished for more, however, I still have to read the third one so who knows maybe that one will be better. 

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Rating 3/5 stars
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E ...
This book is about Hadley who is going to London in order to see her father get married. Due to circumstances she misses her flight and ends up meeting Oliver. The two of them help each other overcome and face things they weren't quite ready to on their own. 

Untamed and Ensnared by A.G. Howard
Rating 3.5/5 stars
Untamed (Splintered Series Companion): A Splintered Companion ...Ensnared: Howard, A. G.: 9781419716751: Books - Amazon.caAlthough two separate books since they are part of the same series I decided to put these two books together on the list since I rated them exactly the same. Untamed is the Splintered series Novella bind up which included three short stories to go along with the series. The first two were okay, while I really loved the last one which definitely increased the rating of the book for me. Ensnared was the final book in the Splintered series and the ending was rushed and terrible. Luckily the epilogue story in Untamed fixed the rushed ending giving me exactly what I wanted. 

Unhinged by A. G. Howard
Rating 4/5 stars
Unhinged (Splintered, #2) by A.G. Howard
The second book in the Splintered series Unhinged definitely didn't disappoint. Also, Morpheus is on the cover, and in the love triangle in this series, he was my favourite. This book showed further development in all the characters and brought up new places. I also loved the ending of this book. 

The Trials of Hercules by Tammie Painter: 
Rating 4/5 stars
The Trials of Hercules: Book One of The Osteria Chronicles by ...
This book is a retelling of the myth of Hercules told in a dystopian US. This book was excellent and I loved how it was told in multiple POVs. This book also has such a great ending. The perfect amount of funny and romantic. I thought the book at times was slow but for the most part, I was able to get through this book quickly. I might pick up another book in the series but since each book follows a different myth I might not get the next book right away. 

April Raintree by Beatrice Mosioner
Rating 4/5 stars
April Raintree: Culleton Mosionier, Beatrice: 9781895411416: Books ...
I read this book for the book club that I am a part of and it was absolutely amazing. The main character is April Raintree and she is a Metis girl who gets put in the foster care system due to her parents not being able to take care of her and her younger sister Cheryll. This book is so powerful with a strong message. Once I started this book I couldn't put it down. Even during the parts where it was hard to read. Trigger warning for the book: This book includes abuse, a rape scene, and suicide. 

Dating an Alien Pop Star by Kendra L. Saunders
Rating 5/5 stars
Dating an Alien Pop Star by Kendra L. Saunders
Since I already have a review of this up on my blog I will just say that this book is great. It is funny and cute and a really fast read. Also, it is a free ebook so it is definitely worth the chance. 

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
Rating 5/5 stars
They Both Die at the End: Amazon.ca: Silvera, Adam: Books
This book was so good. In this version of the world, individuals get notified on the day they are going to die. And Rufus and Mateo get notified that day. I am posting a review of this book on my blog so again I will only make this short as well. This book tore at my emotions. I knew because of the title that both characters were going to die but that didn't prepare me for this book. I read this book this month since none of the other books I read really featured LGBTQ characters and it is pride month. This was the first-ever Adam Silvera book I have ever read and it will not be the last. 

Anime watched

This month I finished watching two different shows. I watched all the shows on this list on Funimation 

My Hero Academia 
Rating 5/5 stars
My Hero Academia Poster Characters (24"x36"): Amazon.ca: Home ...
I am now caught up entirely with the show and cannot wait for the next season to come out. This show is about Izuku Midoriya a quirkless boy who wants to become a hero. Things happen and he ends up getting accepted at UA a school for people to become heroes. Todoroki is my favourite character, however, all the characters in this show even the ones outside of class 1A are awesome. 

Barakamon
Rating 3.5/5 stars
Watch Barakamon Sub & Dub | Comedy, Slice of Life Anime | Funimation
I was really excited to watch this show but ended up not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. This one follows a calligrapher who goes to an island to work on his art after punching the director for an art exhibition in the face. On the island, he meets a little girl who he befriends. He also befriends several other people and falls in love with living there. There were moments I truly loved in this show however it is definitely not my favourite anime in its genre. It's short though so I would say it is still worth the watch. 

My Roommate is a cat
Rating 5/5 stars
Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. (My Roommate is a Cat ...
Technically this was a rewatch but this show is great. As a cat owner who sometimes feels awkward when talking to people, I totally understood the main character Subaru at times. Also, I love the fact that the first half of the show is told from his perspective and the second half is told from the cats. This show is very unique and doesn't feature a romance. However, I really hope that Subaru ends up with the girl that works at the pet shop. I think they would be perfect for each other. This show was so cute though, only has 12 episodes and is 100 percent worth the watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading books from the Readers Also Enjoyed section on Goodreads for The Deal by Elle Kennedy

 I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy so I decided to see what books other readers enjoyed and read some of them. Here is my opinion of six of t...