Followers

Monday, August 3, 2020

July Wrap Up

July Wrap Up
images from google

Books:
This July I read 21 books. I have never read this many books in one month before. As usual, I will list the books I read based on how many stars I gave them. I will also include a new category in this post of no rating due to other factors surrounding some of the books in this post. 

No Rating: 
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

I decided not to give this book a star rating due to issues dealing with the author (the same thing for Order of the Phoenix.) I really like the Harry Potter books and this book, in particular, represents the turning point of the series from middle grade to a young adult as Harry is 14 in this book. As well the topics in the books starting with this one start to be more YA. 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

This book is the fifth book in the series. It is also my least favorite book in the series. I actually almost prefer the movie over the book for this one. This book is long and has one of my least favorite characters of all time in it. Umbridge. 

One Star:
- I did not read any one-star books this month.
Two Star:
- I did not read any two-star books this month.

Three Star: 
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Thirteen Reasons Why: Asher, Jay: 8601404208522: Books - Amazon.ca

This book to me was a three-star book for many reasons. While I thought the subject was interesting and I thought the book was better than the show there were many things I also didn't like about it. It was a difficult read because it deals with the topic of suicide. I did however find it interesting though how you could listen to the tapes online while reading the book. This book is definitely not for everyone. 

- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Ep 288 - The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger — Overdue

This book was almost more of a 2.5 but I typically round up when I rate books instead of down. There were many parts of this book I enjoyed, however, there were also many moments where the book was slow and I almost considered DNFing it. However, I am glad I read the whole book. I especially liked Clare's character in it. Mainly because it was interesting seeing what she thought while Henry was gone, and while she was growing up and he would be there at different ages. I wouldn't recommend this book personally. This is one where I would tell people that they should just watch the movie. 

- City of Bone's by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1) eBook: Clare ...

This book was a reread. Originally when I read it for the first time I loved it and rated it five stars. However, after rereading recently I dropped my rating to three stars. While this book will always have a special place to me isn't as good as her other books. I don't really like Clary's character very much, and while I do like Jace, Alec, Magnus, and Isabelle I find in the first book especially the writing is not very strong. 

Four Star:
- First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson Book 1) eBook: Jones ...

This book is the first book in the Charlie Davidson series. This book was more of a 3.5 out of five stars but like I said I round up. There were multiple moments in this book I just rolled my eyes. However, there were also many moments I found funny and I thought that the storyline was actually an interesting concept. I do plan on continuing this series. This book is an adult urban fantasy book where the main character can see dead people. Using her ability she works with the police to solve crimes. This book is an adult book. 
- Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia Book 2) eBook: Lewis ...

This book is the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia. I didn't like this one as much as the first book. I didn't really get attached to Caspian as much as the characters from the first book. I really love C. S. Lewis's writing though, and I definitely recommend this series. 

Five Star: 
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 
Little Women: Alcott, Louisa May: 8601416366470: Books - Amazon.ca

This was another reread. I absolutely love Little Women. It's impossible not to get attached to the characters of Jo, Beth, Amy, and Meg. This book is so well written and truly stands the test of time. I highly recommend this book. I also recommend the movies. ( I especially liked the new one that just came out.) 
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Help - Wikipedia

I actually watched the movie for this before reading the book. I thought the characters in the book were really well done. The writing in this book is great, although at first, it was a bit hard to get into because the writing style changes a bit depending on which character's POV it is. This book is an adult book that deals with the topic of segregation. I recommend both the book and the movie.  

- The Infernal Devices Trilogy by Cassandra Clare (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess) 
Spoiler Review: The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare – Heart ...

This trilogy is amazing. Compared to the mortal instruments these books are very character-driven. This series also has one of the best love triangles I have ever read. I loved Tessa, Will, and Jem. I also loved the other side characters because I truly got so attached to all of them. At the moment this is my favourite series by Cassandra Clare. 

- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Chbosky, Stephen: 9780671027346 ...

This book was really good. I read it in one sitting. I also watched the movie for this book before reading it. I was almost apprehensive about reading the book because I knew the subject matter and what happens before going into it. However, I was surprised about some of the things that were different and not in the movie. One of the topics in the book that isn't in the movie is abortion. This book is definitely not for everyone though because of some of the triggers in the subject matter including suicide, abortion, depression, bullying. I loved the characters in this book and I recommend the book and the movie because both are incredibly well done. 

- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This book was incredible. I watched the movie before reading the book, however, with this one, I thought the book was far better. The book is about this elderly man who is remembering his past involving a different circus when a new one comes to town. This book is incredibly well written and is definitely one of my favourite books I read this month. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is seeking an Adult romance with a male main character. Also to anyone who likes books with circuses in them. 
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: Riggs, Ransom ...

This is another book I pretty much read in one sitting. This book has children in it who have many different abilities. I also really enjoyed looking at all the images in the book. The storyline was so interesting. I am excited to continue the series and I definitely plan on doing a series review for it. I highly recommend this book.  
- The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan ( The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, The Last Olympian)
Let's Talk About The Percy Jackson Series – The Little ...
I loved this series. I thought the books were really well written and it was very interesting how the main character Percy frequently broke the fourth wall by addressing the person reading the book. My favourite book in this series is the first one. I loved being introduced to this urban fantasy world where the Greek gods are real and Olympus is on top of the empire states building. I thought Percy was such a great character. I also really like the other characters too. The ending was also really good. It actually made me cry a little bit. I highly recommend these books. 

- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
The Narrator's Role as Teacher in C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch ...

This book was really good. I loved reading about Narnia, and I really enjoyed Lucy, Susan, Peter, and Edmund's character. Like I said before C. S. Lewis has absolutely incredible writing so if you haven't read this series yet I highly recommend it.
Anime: 
This month I completed watching two different shows. Both of the shows I watched using Funimation's app. 

- The Promised Neverland
Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland) - MyAnimeList.net

I already have a review of this show on my blog so I won't say much. Other than the fact that I rated this show 5/5 stars and it is absolutely incredible. This show is definitely a must-watch. The storyline sucks you in instantly. I watched the show in one sitting because I had to see what happens after watching the first episode. Also since this show only has 12 episodes it was a very quick watch. 
- The Royal Tutor
Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine (The Royal Tutor) - MyAnimeList.net

This show was pretty good. I would rate it 4/5 stars. This show is very comedic. It is about this guy who becomes the royal tutor and by doing so means that he has to take responsibility for the four princes education. The royal tutor is also the size of a child. Many of the jokes in the show revolve around the size of the royal tutor. I thought all of the princes were really interesting. I do recommend this show to people who like shows like Ouran High School Host Club. It was a very enjoyable quick watch. This show has 12 episodes.

What did you read during July? Comment down below. Also if you want a full review of any of the books mentioned in this post comment down below. Thanks so much for reading and I hope you are all having a good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading books from the Readers Also Enjoyed section on Goodreads for The Deal by Elle Kennedy

 I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy so I decided to see what books other readers enjoyed and read some of them. Here is my opinion of six of t...